Chapter 5 "Is That True" in the book Critical Thinking talks about evaluationg the premise, the criteria for accepting or rejecting the claim, and advertizing on the internet. The most annoying types of advertizing i've seen on the internet is the pop-up games, where all you have to do to win something is complete a simple task like "Out Drink The Frat Boy." Advertizements like this are just tricks to get people to go to their webpage by forcing the person to click the link. I learned that these types of advertizements are almost always phony. Many advertizements only get their money from how many people visit their page, so by tricking a web surfer into clicking the link, they will recieve money.
People often fill in the blanks and assume things when they are read. For example, after reading that ad your brain probably processed that if you beat the frat boy in drinking, then they will give you a free Nintento Wii. On closer inspection however, nothing besides spatial relations connects the two statements. It doesn't say "If you win, you get a free Wii." The premise and the claim of the ad's argument are weak and we can not accept them. These types of ads are sketchy and unreliable. I know this from personal experience because i one spent over an hour trying to find out how to recieve my prize, but it was impossible.
And boom goes the dynamite,
Melvin Banner

Dear Melvin Banner,
ReplyDeleteI HATE those advertisements on the internet. They really make me upset because I play them because I truly want a Nintendo Wii! I have never won one and I end up kicking myself for entering information into the website when I get 30 e-mails from the site everyday. I really liked how you mentioned the clarification of winning the game and not winning the Wii. I think that this claim makes the internet surfer infer that it is very simple to win something that is actually very expensive. Perhaps after this class I wont fall for dubious claims on the internet anymore. Thank you for talking about the most annoying type of advertisement on the internet.
Sincerely,
hb1